Wednesday 15 May 2019

Garter Snakes


Hi Families,

Today I was at my final session of Land-Based Learning Professional Development at Shannon Terrace in Fish Creek Park. During our Walk Alongside, experts from Alberta Parks shared information on the garter snake hibernaculum that exists on the property. I can easily say that snakes are not high on my list of favourite animals, but I couldn't help but be fascinated by some of the information they shared, which was enriched by the fact that two little guys serpentined across our path not minutes later!

If you're interested, I recommend making your way down there with your kiddos and see if you can spot one of the two species that make Fish Creek Park their home!

(These are not my pictures from today)

Red-Sided Garter Snake
https://www.ab-conservation.com/downloads/educational_materials/brochures/aca_reptiles_of_alberta.pdf

Wandering Garter Snake
https://www.ab-conservation.com/downloads/educational_materials/brochures/aca_reptiles_of_alberta.pdf

Ms. Thomas