Thursday 19 September 2019

Gum

Hi Families, 

I wanted to post this information as many students have questions about chewing gum at school.

Yes, I allow gum in our classroom. Other teachers in our school prefer not to have gum in their classrooms, so this permission to have gum is for our classroom only. 

For safety reasons, I have the clear expectation that gum not be chewed in gym, or outside while playing. If your child is sent to school chewing gum, they will have to spit it out, as we have gym first thing every morning.

My recommendation for bringing gum to school and supporting a healthy, manageable consumption: keep a pack of gum (or two daily pieces) in your child's lunch-bag. This way, they are only accessing gum when it is best suited to instructional time (i.e. after snack for morning learning, and after lunch for afternoon learning).

To respect other classrooms and the school environment, we do not chew gum in the Music room or library. If we are visiting another classroom and the teacher asks us not to, we respect that. If I see or hear gum, it gets spit out. 

Before sending any gum for to school, please have a conversation with your child about expected behaviours. I would recommend a conversation of how much and when, and not sharing.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I am happy to clarify any of this information. Your support from home is appreciated! 

Thank you everyone!
Ms. Thomas